On July of 1888 Eastman Kodak placed a camera on the market with the slogan, "You press the button, we do the rest". For the first time in history the masses could now record history with the push of a button. No harsh chemicals were needed to bring alive forever moments in time. In 1901 Eastman Kodak introduced the Kodak Brownie and the rest is history.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

SCHOOL DAYS PART DEUX

If you have been a faithful follower of Shadows you know we presented a list of early school pictures from the Appalachian section of Ohio taken in the late 1920's through early 1930. Last summer the same friend who gave me most of the pictures from the previous post also gave me the ones I am displaying today. The last few are an exception and came from another source.

It is interesting to study the faces. Again, that is the beauty of black and white. There is only a small amount of touch up because I did not want to change the features of the vintage photo.

One great news flash to offer my readers--I have now saved, scrimped and fought tooth and nail to save up the needed money to buy my new super computer. Horaay! But the caveat is I feel it is important to buy the extended warranty that allows the Geek Squad to come to my home and repair the computer if necessary for three years. That jacks up the cost another $150, which puts that carrot back out on the string for a while. But soon I will be able to run more programs without the computer crashing. I will clean up the hard drive on my old dependable Sony and sell it to someone who wants a great computer but doesn't need to run a ton of power grabbing photo programs.


I am very anti-credit card, especially after my Sears card went up to 26 percent interest, so to get this computer plus my scanner by saving and selling on e-bay shows that most anyone can live without credit. My little cottage industry will never borrow from the credit card robber barons. And yes, I have made a few dollars here and there doing restoration work.

Now it is time to get off the soap box.


I love this guy. There is a sense he knows something we don't. Osh Kosh was defiantly the style down yonder
I'm not sure but this might be from the 1950's only because the glasses are what my classmates adorned during my school days.
Now wouldn't you have straightened out his tie if you were the photographer. Well straight or crooked at least he had a smile for the camera man.
I detect a little Cherokee in her blood which was not uncommon for families in that area to have American Indian in their blood.
Two boys. Two bibs. Two struggle to smile. Like the last post it seems like families doubled up to save money on school photos. Would I wanted my older brother to be in my picture. Hmm, probably so.
Got to love these boys.
Equal time for all races here. A new set of choppers was likely on his wish list.
I think this is a 1950's picture also but it may have been an earlier photo
The two sisters show the same economical depression as the boys. They had bibs and the girls had home made clothing
Back to the 1950's? I'm sorry we are jumping through the stratosphere of time but when I receive a gift of photos then they are cleaned up and put here. Some had dates, some not. Sorry, none had last names.
This lad would have done well to straighten up his tie in order to hide the safety pin on his shirt. Still the crooked tie does make the photo look very boyish.
Ahh, suspenders. A step up from bibs. I don't know, never wearing them, though I did have several nice pair of designer bibs over the years. Loved them
Sorry, no smile today.
In the last batch I had the bruised girl who you could read like a map. Here we go again. Now if one of them smiled I could say the frown was just a fluke. But this picture tells its own story

We end the school days page with the one who got left behind. If looks could kill. Come on mom, send her to school.

3 comments:

Hawkeye® said...

Great stuff as always Shelly! Just wonderful. You know, I've seen a lot of pictures from the 1910's through the 1930's where no one is smiling. Take my grandparents' wedding for instance.

I don't know why that is, but I think it goes back to the Civil War. I think they had slow shutter speeds and people were used to keeping absolutely still so they wouldn't ruin the photo.

Besides that, a lot of people in those days didn't have too much to smile about. You know... poverty and all. Throw in some overly grumpy and domineering parent(s) and Voila! -- straight faces.

Keep up the great work!

(:D) Best regards...

camojack said...

I'll have to find a bunch of my old pictures for you to digitize...

Beerme said...

Wonderful photos! Thanks so much for sharing!